Monday, October 26, 2015

Happy 15th Birthday PlayStation 2

After its debut in Japan, Sony’s PlayStation 2 arrived in North America on October 26, 2000. Its launch roster featured over 20 names—games like Volition’s Summoner, Rockstar’s Midnight Club, or Eidos’ TimeSplitters. Happy 15th to all of them.

SEEEGAAA....Whoops! I mean PLAYSTATION...2...

The PlayStation 2 went on in the following years to sell over 150 million units, making it one of the most successful video game consoles of all time.  It also helped to launch groundbreaking new games like Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Grand Theft Auto III. Three games that are remembered as much for their technical prowess, as they are for their universal critical acclaim.

In other words, this thing had the games, and people wanted it.  People like me.  

I'll never forget the day that my mother out of nowhere suggested that because my brother and I had been doing so well at school and home, she would flat out buy us a new Playstation 2. It blew our 15 and 10 year old minds.  We came home with SSX and Grand Turismo 3 and never looked back.

Happy birthday PS2, thanks for the memories, and all the wonderful games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. Speak up!